The Logistics Manager manages movement of materials, goods and products, (including importing and exporting), to ensure that they are in the right place to meet customer demand. Responsible for ensuring the right products are delivered to the right location on time, to the quality required and in the most cost effective way. Oversees the distribution and transportation of goods from the manufacturer to the consumer. The Logistics Manager develops and executes the best practice logistics vision, strategy, policies, processes and procedures to aid and improve operational performance
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Plan, manage and evaluate logistics operations partnering with internal stakeholders, suppliers, logistics providers, transportation companies and customers.
- Create and implement best practice logistics principles, policies and processes across the organization to improve operational and financial performance.
- Deliver solutions to logistics problems while maintaining high levels of quality and service within budgetary requirements.
- Monitor quality, quantity, delivery times, and transport costs.
- Negotiate rates and contracts with transportation and logistics providers.
- Recommend optimal transport modes, routes or frequency.
- Select carriers/suppliers and monitor service against performance criteria.
- Ensure carrier compliance with company policies or procedures for product transit or delivery.
- Resolve problems concerning transportation, logistics systems, imports or exports or customer issues.
- Review impact of logistics changes, such as routing, shipping modes, product volumes or carriers and report results to others.
- Assess and make recommendations for logistics processes in potential new facilities or plants and advise of cost implications and efficiency.
- Support continuous improvement initiatives and identify inefficiencies and cost optimization opportunities.
- Identify savings by removing waste or unnecessary steps in the logistics process.
- Interpret trends and analyze and review data. Provide meaningful logistics data to others in the organization to aid customer service and cost improvements.
- Ensure metrics, reports, and process documentation is available.
- Participate in carrier management processes, such as selection, qualification, or performance evaluation.
- Monitor product import or export processes to ensure compliance with regulatory or legal requirements.
- Manage, coach and develop a high performing team that meets agreed objectives and delivers best practice results, added value and continuous improvements.
- Set departmental objectives/KPIs and review and assess ongoing performance of direct reports.
- Report on achievement of targets and identify any actions required.
- Ensure that all functions under supervision operate in accordance with health, safety and environmental policies and procedures to ensure the safety and wellbeing of staff and visitors.
- Interpret transportation or tariff regulations, shipping orders, safety regulations, or company policies and procedures for workers.
- Plans, directs, and monitors preventive maintenance and repair programs for all Company vehicles.
- Recommend and implement measures to improve employee motivation, equipment performance, work methods, or customer services.
- Maintain or verify records of time, materials, expenditures, or crew activities.
- Develop risk management programs to ensure continuity of supply in emergency scenarios.
- Collaborate with other departments to integrate logistics with business systems or processes, such as customer sales, order management, accounting, or shipping.
- Analyze the financial impact of proposed logistics changes, such as routing, shipping modes, product volumes or mixes, or carriers.
- Direct inbound or outbound logistics operations, such as transportation or warehouse activities, safety performance, or logistics quality management.
- Analyze all aspects of corporate logistics to determine the most cost-effective or efficient means of transporting products or supplies.
- Direct or coordinate comprehensive logistical or reverse logistical functions for product life cycles, including acquisition, distribution, internal allocation, delivery, recycling, reuse, or final disposal of resources.
- Communicate freight transportation information to customers or suppliers, using transportation management, electronic logistics marketplace, or electronic freight information systems, to improve efficiency, speed, or quality of transportation services.
- Review global, national, or regional transportation or logistics reports for ways to improve efficiency or minimize the environmental impact of logistics activities.
- Conduct or review environmental audits for logistics activities, such as storage, distribution, or transportation.
- Recommend purchase of new or improved technology, such as automated systems.
- Manage the work of logistics specialists, planners, and shipping teams.
- Work to find backhauls for ASI-Southeast trucks and to combine outgoing loads for best efficiencies.
- Ensure all completed orders are dispatched on time.
- Ensure products are shipped appropriately to ensure quality of goods during transportation.
- Monitor and make recommendations for packaging to provide appropriate, cost effective, high quality solutions
- Establish systems to monitor and support shipping label accuracy to ensure correct parts/finished assemblies reach correct customers at the correct time.
- Conduct or review environmental audits for logistics activities to ensure processes compliant and as environmentally friendly as possible.
- Maintain metrics, reports, process documentation, customer service logs, or training or safety records.
- Oversees selection, and provides training for over the road drivers.
- Maintain a 5S compliant work area, audit fleet for compliance with regulations and company standards.
- Perform other duties as required.
WORK EXPERIENCE AND REQUIREMENTS
- BS/BA in Supply Chain Management and/or related field preferred.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience managing transportation logistics including working with over-the-road tractor (OTR) & trailer operations.
- A minimum of 4 years of experience in a direct or indirect leadership role.
- Strong Logistics Management systems knowledge and capability including knowledge and understanding of specialized systems for fleet management/tracking and electronic logs such as EROAD and Samsara.
- Comprehensive knowledge of logistics processes and procedures and applicable DOT/FMCSA regulations and compliance requirements.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- CDL A preferred.
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills.
- Skill in organization, time management, prioritization, and attention to detail.
- Ability to adapt to changing organizational and operational needs.
- Prior Route Optimization experience.
- Is resilient, optimistic and open to change
- Expert knowledge of technical regulations related to logistics such as import/export and customs regulations, including security requirements to include certification in dangerous goods handling and aviation security.
- Candidate should be highly energized and self-motivated with experience working with teams to implement change and foster positive team environment.
- Strong organizational and project management skills required.
- Proven conflict resolution skills to include: active listening, seeking understanding, team building skills, emotional intelligence and frequent effective communication.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions.
- Ability to read and understand equipment operation manuals, Safety Data Sheets, and other literature as required.
- Strong team player and leader with the ability to work across multiple functions and disciplines.
- Ability lead and develop employees through coaching and mentoring on a one-on-one basis as well as in a group setting.
- Ability to adapt to changing organizational and operational needs; ability to lead others through change.
- Lean Manufacturing and Six Sigma experience preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to learn new concepts and convey the knowledge to a team in both classroom and practical setting.
- Maintain transparent communication through weekly department meetings, one-on-one meetings, email, and regular interpersonal communication.
- Strong critical thinking/problem solving and troubleshooting skills required.
- Intermediate mathematics skills required.
- Must be able to work in an empowerment culture, supportive of team initiatives/ideas for improvement.
- Ability to read and communicate effectively in English required.
- A self-starter, motivated and able to positively motivate others.
- Must be willing to work flexible hours as business needs demand.
Punctual attendance to work is required. This position requires a moderate to high degree of standing, walking, stooping or kneeling, close eye work, reaching, pulling or pushing. Ability to distinguish color. Good hand dexterity, hearing, and vision are considered essential. A moderate to high degree of repetitive motions using right, left, or both hands and/or feet may also be required. Moderate to steady lifting of up to 50lbs. required. Requires wearing personal protective equipment. Must be able to adapt to temperature and environmental extremes from hot to cold, dust, dirt and chemicals. Requires working indoors in non-climate controlled conditions. Operating, maneuvering, navigating, or driving vehicles or mechanized equipment, such as forklifts, passenger vehicles, and industrial trucks.
ASI-Southeast provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Management reserves the right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Email Human Resources
or Call 706-827-2700 ext. 6389