Set up, operate or tend machines to cut, shear, slit, punch, crimp, notch, bend or straighten metal or plastic materials in accordance with established procedures and guidelines. Uses computer-controlled equipment to select position and secure automatic or semi-automatic machines. Controls and adjusts machine settings to complete more complex tasks.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Measure completed work pieces to verify conformance to specifications, using micrometers, gauges, calipers, templates, or rulers.
- Inspect and examine completed work pieces for defects such as chipped edges and marred surfaces, and sort defective pieces according to types of flaws.
- Read work orders and production schedules to determine specifications, such as materials to be used, locations of cutting lines, and dimensions and tolerances.
- Load metal or plastic material into machines.
- Set up, operate, or tend machines to cut, shear, slit, punch, crimp, notch, bend, or straighten metal or plastic material.
- Analyze machine operations and output. Start machines, monitor their operations, and record operational data.
- Test and adjust machine speeds and actions, according to product specifications, and using gauges and hand tools.
- Install, align, and lock specified punches, dies, cutting blades or other fixtures in rams or beds of machines, using gauges, templates, feelers, shims, and hand tools.
- Adjust machine as needed for changeovers, different functions, or other varying needs of production.
- Maintain compliance with lockout/tagout requirements.
- Clean and lubricate machines.
- Perform safety inspections.
- Examine completed work pieces for defects such as chipped edges and marred surfaces, and sort defective pieces according to types of flaws.
- Cut, shape, and trim materials, such as wood, laminate veneer and metal, using knives, scissors, and other hand tools, portable power tools, or bench-mounted tools.
- Separate materials or products according to size, weight, type, condition, color, or shade.
- Mark identification numbers, trademarks, grades, marketing data, sizes, or model numbers on products.
- Maintain records of approved and defective units or final products.
- Maintain a clean and organized work area in accordance with 5S standards.
- Maintain activity logs.
- Other duties as assigned.
WORK EXPERIENCE AND REQUIREMENTS
- High School Diploma or GED
- Working knowledge of diverse high-speed machinery and measurement tools (caliper, micrometer etc.)
- Understanding of production procedures.
- Compliance with health and safety regulations (constant use of PPE)
- 2-5 years related experience in an operator capacity preferred.
- Proficiency in Operator I functions.
- May be required to operate powered industrial equipment.
- Ability to learn multiple Operator II functions. (Lock-strip Operator/Galvanized Brazier/Stainless Steel Finisher/Press Operator)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required.
- Experience with SolidWorks preferred.
- Strong organization skills and attention to detail required.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions.
- Ability to read and understand equipment operation manuals, Safety Data Sheets, and other literature as required.
- Ability to determine color and inspect product for variations/defects required.
- Intermediate computer knowledge preferred.
- Intermediate mathematics skills required.
- Ability to read blueprints or production schematics is necessary,
- Ability to keep up machinery, ability to do small to moderate adjustments on machinery.
- Ability to read English required.
- Critical Thinking/Problem solving/trouble shooting ability required.
Punctual attendance to work is required. This position requires a moderate to high degree of standing, walking, stooping or kneeling, close eye work, reaching, pulling or pushing. Ability to distinguish color. Good hand dexterity, hearing, and vision are considered essential. A moderate to high degree of repetitive motions using right, left, or both hands and/or feet may also be required. Moderate to Steady lifting of up to 50lbs. required. Requires wearing personal protective equipment. Requires working indoors in non-climate controlled conditions.
Management reserves the right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. ASI-Southeast provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Email Human Resources
or Call 706-827-2700 ext. 6389