Creates specifications, establishes manufacturing control plans, designs processes, quality systems and training for extrusion processing of plastic sheet and/or plastic film. The position goal is to deliver superior operating results and to further enhance our customer’s total quality experience. Role focus includes supporting the operation in the production of a high quality product, increased throughput, improved labor efficiencies, driver of lean initiatives and champion continuous improvement while maintaining/improving safety performance. Responsibilities include the indirect supervision, coordination, and management of multiple employees as they are engaged in production activities related to lean initiatives and continuous improvement.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Demonstrated ability and technical knowledge of the full extrusion process. Materials, Process, Equipment, Maintenance and Product Quality.
- Lead safety initiatives to provide a safe working environment and address any production process safety concerns.
- Develop and implement process flow, PFMEA and Control plans for all products.
- Work with and train operators on set up and production improvements.
- Produce written evaluations of operators including skill matrix and education plan.
- Develop and implement equipment process controls and reaction plans.
- Develop and implement product quality controls and reaction plans.
- Drive lean initiatives to improve product quality, throughput, lower cost and improve uptime.
- Develop and implement standard operating procedures (SOP’s) for all process.
- Develop process and manage new products and new material launches and process changes.
- Drive material savings with alternative sourcing and process changes.
- Partner with maintenance to set up preventive and predictive maintenance requirements.
- Partner with Manufacturing Manager to compile accurate data support extrusion performance measurement.
Work Experience and Requirements
- Five years prior experience in plastics extrusion engineering capacity preferred.
- BS Engineering or BS Chemical Engineering degree preferred, will consider: BSEE, BSME, BS Chemical, BSIE, Polymer Engineering, Plastic Engineering, Industrial Engineering and Material Science, etc. preferred.
- Lean Manufacturing and Six Sigma experience preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to learn new concepts and pass the knowledge along to others in classroom and practical experience.
- Proven ability to lead associates through coaching and mentoring.
- Track record of successful project management and team experience.
- Candidates should be highly energized and self-motivated with experience working with teams to implement change and be adept at communicating with all levels to get everyone on board.
- Technical and scientific knowledge of polymer extrusion process.
- Proficient with typical office software (Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Strong organizational and project management skills required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions.
- Ability to read and understand equipment operation manuals, Safety Data Sheets, and other literature as required.
- Strong critical thinking/problem solving and troubleshooting skills required.
- Intermediate mathematics skills required.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English.
- Additional languages preferred.
This position requires a moderate to high degree of standing, walking, stooping or kneeling, precision eye work, reaching, pulling or pushing. Good hand dexterity, hearing, and vision are considered essential. A moderate to high degree of repetitive motions using right, left, or both hands and/or feet may also be required. Requires wearing personal protective equipment. Requires working indoors in environmentally non-controlled conditions.
- Inspecting Equipment, Structures, or Material
- Making Decisions and Solving Problems
- Performing General Physical Activities
- Communicating with Supervisors, Peers, or Subordinates
- Judging the Qualities of Product
- Processing Information
- Handling and Moving Objects
- Operating Forklift, Mechanized Devices, or Equipment
- Getting Information
- Monitor Processes, Materials, or Surroundings
- Controlling Machines and Processes
- measure, weigh, or count products or materials
- move or fit heavy objects
- use precision measuring tools or equipment
- read specifications
- operate metal or plastic fabricating equipment/machinery
- read technical drawings
- load or unload material or work piece into machinery
- perform safety inspections in manufacturing or industrial setting
- examine products or work to verify conformance to specifications
Management reserves the right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. ASI-Southeast provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training
Email Human Resources
or Call 706-827-2700 ext. 6389