The Purchasing Agent supports the manufacture and assembly of the company’s products by supplying the proper raw materials JIT to complete all tasks. The Purchasing Agent works under the guidance of the Purchasing Manager to solicit vendor bids, process purchase orders, make spot buys, conduct new product research, reconcile invoices and source suppliers through evaluation of reliability, product quality, and cost-efficiency.
- Supports Customer Service in the quoting process with correct RM information.
- Communication, follow-up and support of all departments within ASI Southeast, Inc.
- Develop, analyze, and issue supplier contracts and purchase requisitions for required commodities, and services.
- Provide assistance and information as requested to support special projects, engineering change notices (ECN’s), feasibility’s, and reworks.
- Provide assistance and information as requested to support continuous improvement initiatives as they relate to the cost and quality of material and services.
- Develop and negotiate long term agreements and contracts which are consistent with cost reduction requirements and targets established by other departments.
- Analyze vendor bids for blanket orders, capital projects and spot buys.
- Coordinate vendor bids for blanket orders, capital/tooling projects and spot buys.
- Inquire, analyze and negotiate multiple quotations to ensure best source/cost practices.
- Process requisitions and purchase orders for initial buys, repeat buys, and spot buys.
- Follow-up on orders and assist Materials in expediting delivery according to plant requirements.
- Establish, evaluate, monitor, and report critical service supplier performance.
- Collaborate with plants to coordinate activities related to supply of goods and services.
- Develop process and initiate process changes to accommodate new products and new material launches.
- Support lean initiatives to improve product quality, throughput, lower cost and improve uptime.
- Verify conformance to specifications of goods and materials.
- Consistently promote high standards through personal example.
- Responsible for sourcing year over year cost savings.
- Negotiate competitive pricing and optimal order quantities.
- Review demands of RM weekly (fast moving items).
- Monitor pricing trends/lead times for core items and buy accordingly.
- Lead sourcing projects with minimum to no supervision.
- Participate in cross-functional teams.
- Acts as escalation point for quality concerns.
- Approves and issues purchase orders in conjunction with negotiated terms and conditions.
- Monitor daily inventory levels to ensure delivery performance and inventory levels are within range.
- Investigate purchase order/invoice discrepancies.
- Run commitments for steel and lockers twice a month and update purchasing graph.
- Develop profitable purchasing strategies.
- Assess supplier profiles and analyze offers.
- Prepare and implement effective negotiation tactics.
- Manage relationships with key suppliers to maintain quality of goods, timely delivery and compliance to terms of contracts.
- Review supplies to ensure quality. Confer with staff to discuss defective/unacceptable goods/services and determine corrective action.
- Contact vendors to follow up on late or missing shipments or to report damaged goods.
- Use spreadsheets and other tools to support forecasting demand.
- Create PO’s for VIM Customers and for RM.
- Ensures best practices and greatest leverage in procurement processes.
- Effectively communicate with customer base regarding inventory levels, quality issues, and all other business related topics.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
WORK EXPERIENCE AND REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field preferred, or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience preferred.
- 1-year experience in a purchasing capacity or related field.
- Proficiency in CRM and inventory management software preferred.
- Proficient MS Office suite.
- Strong organizational and project management skills required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions.
- Strong team player with the ability to work across multiple functions and disciplines.
- Ability to adapt to changing organizational and operational needs;
- Lean Manufacturing and Six Sigma experience preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to learn new concepts.
- Maintain transparent communication through department meetings, one-on-one meetings, email, and regular interpersonal communication.
- Strong critical thinking/problem solving and troubleshooting skills required.
- Intermediate mathematics skills required.
- Ability to work independently, self-motivated, and results oriented
- Meticulous attention to detail required.
- Ability to work a fast-paced operational environment.
- Willingness to work extended or flexible hours as required to meet production demands.
- Displays passion and optimism; inspires respect and trust; mobilizes others to fulfill the vision; provides vision and inspiration to peers.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Additional languages preferred.
This position requires a moderate degree of standing, walking, sitting, precision eye work, use of hands, reach with hands or arms and hearing, and vision are considered essential. Occasional stooping, bending, kneeling, climbing of stairs or balance required. Ability to differentiate color. A moderate to high degree of repetitive motions using right, left, or both hands may also be required. Occasional moving of product of up to 35 lbs. Requires wearing personal protective equipment. Normal office environment where noise level is moderate and temperature/humidity is controlled. Overtime may be required. Attendance to work required. Reasonable accommodations made be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Management reserves the right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. ASI-Southeast provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
or Call 706-827-2700 ext. 6389